Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fee Reads (2014, #2)

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (by Jonathan Safran Foer).

Actually my first book for 2014, but I don't know how to put it (whether I should say it's the first, or the second) when I've started A Study in Scarlet (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) in December 2013 but finished it in 2014.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a story of a nine-year-old named Oskar who embarks in an adventure, searching for the lock to a key he found in his late dad's belongings. 

I hate giving synopses because they are easy to find elsewhere, so let me just jump to what makes this book special  to me.

A few months back, when I was targeting for the next book to buy, the cover of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close caught my eyes. Contrary to popular belief that you should not judge a book by it's cover, well, I had actually judged that this might be a potentially good book...

I love the cover for no known reasons!
...and it was.

I love books about families, especially about father-son relationships. I count it as lucky if I can find a really good book that plays with my emotions, makes me chuckle when I'm supposed to, and makes me cry when the character cries. After one day finishing the book, I still cannot move on to another. Oskar still stays in my mind.This book narrowed the tragedy of 9/11 to an individual's significance, not just names in a memorial plaque, but the stories their loved ones carry, which made the whole story so unique. 

Of course there were parts which I preferred weren't there (I don't think I need to type those out). I think those who didn't really like this book would hate me if I say that Jonathan Safran Foer is a genius, but still I think he really is. I would be glad if I find the chance to read his other works in the future.

So yeah. Read it if you're looking for a book that can make you cry and laugh. I can't guarantee that you'll like it, but this book automatically placed itself in my list of favourite books of all time hahah (maybe because I don't read much, so yeah, lol, I'm in a mission to read a wide range of genres, but I'm struggling with sci-fi and fantasy, lol -- nothing to do with this review).

Anyway...yeah, 5 stars -- for making me cry because I love emotional stuffs.

No comments: