Sunday, December 7, 2014

December Book Haul

First of all, I'm excitedddddd because my holiday has just started. Exam was OK then ended in a terrifying way (I didn't study hard enough for the last paper, I admit) and now I am no longer confident of getting the cash I always dreamt of if you get into the Dean's List. Bye bye keyboards (the musical instrument, not the one you use for typing).

Anyway because of exam (and the absence of my third sister who always became my driver), I had to postpone my plans of going to this book fair which actually started a few weeks back. A bit sad to think of because I'm sure all the good and popular titles must have been purchased by those who visited earlier.

I kept a mindset about budgeting before setting off (I need to save up for Passenger's gig, remember?) so that I could stop becoming that reckless book buyer I used to be. I've decided that life's too short to buy books recklessly (no, the main thing is that MY ROOM IS TOO SMALL) so I need to choose wisely or else I'm going to be one of those book hoarders. 

After a lot of reckless grabbing and emotional let-it-go's, I ended up buying:


What people did not know: I had to let go The Kite Runner, Water for Elephants, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Harlan Coben hardbacks, lots of potential books I failed to discover because I didn't have enough time to search all of the piles--which is one big sad case.

I'm not that sad though. The Kite Runner and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time weren't in really good conditions. I wasn't so sure I'd be enjoying Water for Elephants. And all three can be easily found in Popular bookstores anytime I want if I'm really interested to read them in the future. The hardbacks were still quite pricey (OKayyyyy 10 bucks ain't pricey, but then if I get 10 of them I'd be spending 100 bucks...)

So...I think the ones that I'm really happy about are A Painted House, The Lovely Bones, and Atonement. Andddd Skipping Christmas is in excellent condition (almost illogical to be second-hand!), my mum said maybe it was a Christmas present and the person didn't like it hahaha my mum is the wisest person on earth. It was so beautiful and it's almost Christmas, so yeah, I just had to buy it.

A Painted House is actually a book that I've read before one year ago in Intec (Thank you, Intec library!). It left me with a bittersweet ending so it's like one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. I thought I should own a copy because, er, it's like one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Genius idea, right?!

I don't know from where did I first heard about Atonement but then I've always been curious about it. And The Lovely Bones is like always appearing in Goodreads' Listopias so yeah why not.

One Perfect Day is one of the books in my to-read shelf on Goodreads. To be really honest I don't know how did it end up there. I don't even remember when and why did I save it.

The Iliad and The Prince is just one of my stupid efforts to look smart and well-read. Two bucks each, so yeah, just in case I turn into one of those kind of people who reads these kind of things..I better just store them up. It's really hard to find titles like these in my place anyway.

Reading about Writing, British History, and Tales of Mystery and Terror weren't planned but kind of sparked a lot of interest in me (most important of all they're all cheap, 3-5 bucks each) so I decided to just grab them. Reading about Writing was written by a professor from Rutgers, it's quite an old book but then the contents are really interesting and insightful.

British History is a small fat book with a chronology of historical events that happened in Britain since the beginning of time. Sort of like a mini dictionary, and a TL; DR history book. Fun fun funnn.

Tales of Mystery and Terror is a collection of stories written by Edgar Allan Poe. There's this dude on my facebook whom I got to know from a forum donkey years ago (we almost became college mates, I still kept him even when we didn't end up in the same college because I ditched that one for Intec), who seems to be really interested in the works of Poe. So..because I think this dude is cool, I should also check out his favourite author. I know, I'm weird, but then who doesn't check out something because someone else likes it? Haha. The front cover is so damn scary but I'm trying to be brave and put the book far away at night.

I'm quite happy that I found good books today wheeee and there will be one more book fair before the year ends. I feel like going back to this same book fair before it ends because somehow I think I missed a lot of titles in piles that I didn't search though. I'm jealous of those who could go to the Big Bad Wolf sales but then if you can't get what you love, you learn to love the things you've got!

Sorry, I just had to insert those Passenger lyrics in everything that I type.



No comments: