Thursday, May 3, 2012

Finals oh Finals

Half the battle is over.

Today is apparently better than yesterday, and it's supposed to be that way everyday anyway.

Just like yesterday, today's weather is creating another movie scene for me - it's been a sunny day and I'm in a good mood even before the paper started.

Through my window.
One thing I like about English is that I can never hate it, no matter how bad I may score.

It's the only subject that keeps me perasan, especially when it comes to writing. I love writing so much, and no matter how bad my essay is, no matter how low I get for my marks, I still have one very perasan opinion.

When I don't score as high as I thought I would, this is the only thing I have in my mind:

Not my fault, it's just that the teacher/lecturer doesn't like my style of writing.

For that very same reason, before a writing test, I will always revise my own essays more than essays written by others. In my opinion, reading other people's essays is just killing my own confidence, because I can never produce a piece of work filled with ten thousand bombastic words in just one paragraph.

Why am I saying this? Well, it's obviously not your fault if you happen to be a person who can throw in an endless flow of bombastic sentence. I'm saying this because I have friends who feel pressured to write the way their classmates write even though they are naturally very good writers, just because they were told to do so by their teachers who are constantly comparing their essays.

This is when the phrase "never compare yourself with others" comes in handy. 

I strongly believe that writing is an subjective art, you can hate or like something written by others just by the way you feel it. People are not supposed to restrict themselves by following the styles or others, because no two individuals can produce the same piece or artwork. Yes, you can learn and try to emulate, but going beyond that will cause your true abilities to be wasted.

Everyone is capable in writing. Everyone has his or her own style. Ideas may turn up the same, but the way you convey it will certainly be different from others. And that's what make writing special. Because it's something that only you can produce that way. 

I don't know why I am babbling here right now, but to make things clear, here's the point of this whole thing I am babbling about:

1. Your ability to write is not supposed to be judged based on your exam marks.
2. Writing is an ongoing process of learning, it is an art we all master sometimes unconsciously.
3. Writing is more fun than Science and Maths, in my humble opinion.
4. Writing helped me to become confident.

And last but not least..writing makes me perasan because that's the only thing I think I am good in ever since I entered college. At least it's one of the reasons that kept away from saying that I don't deserve to be here in the land of smarty pants.

Enough with that. Need to study for tomorrow's paper, and go get my shoes downstairs. Had to dry it because of yesterday's rain. How sad it was to do Statistics in wet shoes plus in a hall with air-cond haha. 

Wish me luck for tomorrow.

Luck. Haha. Reminds me of Rukawa Kaede who always says he doesn't need luck. :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow.nostalgic.almost forgot the name rukawa kaede. :P been a while since i left something in ur box. No good lucks but do ur best!

Fee said...

haha, thanks anon. Kogure's my favourite btw :)