Sunday, December 2, 2012

Silence


Honestly I never thought of writing another song after three months of not being able to do so. I was thinking like "uh, that's it, looks like this is the end of my songwriting journey", after about five failed attempts during the past months. Failed attempts, according to my definition in songwriting, is when I kind of figured out a line or two, but couldn't continue due to various reasons. The top three things that can stop me from continuing are:
  1. When I can't rhyme the endings of the lines into something that makes sense.
  2. When I can't figure out a theme on what I am about to write.
  3. When chord progressions sound so familiar like my previous songs, or some other songs that I've listened to.
Writing "Silence" has been a fun journey, and no matter how many views will I get from this one, I'm still going to love it like my "Smell the Rain" and "Raindrops in My Summer". Although previously I was skeptical about the lyrics (yes, that happens all the time) I kind of love this new stuff - no mushy mushy I miss you love you thank you kind of thingy. Haha. However I have to admit that the skeptical side of me senses that the lyrics somehow doesn't make any sense at all. 

Some parts are written based on my emotions, some by observation on what has happened to the people around me. Although completed in one sitting, it wasn't actually something that came into my mind instantly. Empty playground with a broken swing is not something new, in fact it came in August from an emo moment when I was walking aimlessly around my hostel. I managed to make it into the pre-chorus of my abandoned song, "That Familiar Place", but in the end decided that it was something terribly mushy.

Yet all I see is a playground
with a broken swing,
and all I hear is 
the songs we used to sing.

Uh, I'm writing these descriptions as if I'm one of the members of The Beatles. Like errrr, who knows, some people leave legacies when they leave. I'm scared of being forgotten, haha. Just thinking that if you want to wait until you're great enough to share something, that moment will never come. 

To those who are curious.
It's always like this.









    









I watch documentaries about dead songwriters, awesome how these kind of papers can become valuable when you're dead and your songs get popular. Teehee.

My silent bandmate says thanks for listening/reading.
(Sounds like the two components of IELTS) :P
Till we meet again in another song, hopefully can lah, before I burn my damaged guitar during one of my imaginary mini concerts. Uh. 

Hope this song won't make me look so emo. Don't take it seriously, please. 

No comments: