Monday, April 23, 2012

Midnight Breeze

Midnight Breeze

[Chorus]
It was that midnight breeze
that showed me how You love me
It was that darkness
which told me to seek You even dearly
and as I see the lightning coming
all the trees are waving
The smell of the laundry
At the balcony
and this moment of discovery
Just swept away my agony

[Verse 1]
Forgive me for the times I've ran away
All the days I felt that no one cared
Tried to shut my ears and drift away

[Verse 2]
But You have never gave up on my weaknesses
Though sometimes I stumble I will not fall (Psalm 37:24)
You even listen to my silent calls

[Pre-chorus] - Psalm 36:5
Your unfailing love is as vast as the heavens
Your faithfulness like the sky, it's endless

*Repeat Chorus*

[Verse 3]
I'll never be afraid for I can trust in You
For all the things I fail to understand
I learn to put my faith in Your plans

*Repeat Pre-chorus and Chorus*

_______________________________________________

Story-telling time. 

This is my first song not written to convey my feelings to men. It wasn't planned to be this way, but I believe inspiration doesn't come just because you want it to come. Inspiration comes when it comes and that's it. It cannot be forced like learning Maths and Science :P

It all started last Friday night when I came back from Homes and discovered that the whole laman of my block was experiencing blackout. Jokingly, as I walked towards my block, I told my two seniors that "oh, maybe I can write a song later on".

Talking about power of confession, it really did happen. I switched on my laptop and planned to go online in the dark, but the battery was dying. I couldn't sleep so I decided to just sit in the dark, alone, for all of my housemates had already went to bed. 

At that moment, I came to realise that even if I was sleepy, it would be almost impossible to sleep, because it was incredibly hot without the fans.

...then came the sudden midnight breeze.

I took out my guitar from its bag, started plucking some random chords that suited my melancholic mood, and that first phrase came into my mind..

"It was that midnight breeze"

...and I always have this idea that the wind is some sort of a comfort God gives to us, especially when we are down and it comes all out of a sudden.

So I continued writing in the dark. Then in just a few seconds, I dragged my chair outside to the balcony, turned my bucket upside down (as a place to put my feet), grabbed my mini torchlight, and kept on repeating everything over and over again until I got what sounded nice to my ears.

Picture taken (of course) after the electricity came back.
If anyone's a fan of my music (perasan case), they will notice that I use my sense of smell too, most of the time. So here, you find "the smell of the laundry" because I just simply cannot omit it - it's part of the scene and the setting and the thing that activated my brain. By the way, it's actually the smell of downy fabric softener.

I got stuck after finishing my chorus and mosquitoes were partying around me. I almost stopped writing, but as I lifted up my head to observe my surroundings for any possible inspiration, something interesting caught my eyes.

I saw a cat across my block. It was running very fast. 

So that line came into my mind.

"Forgive me for the times I've ran away".

And I tried to relate it with my past situations. The lessons that I've learnt.

Anyway, I left the song hanging after the second verse, not until tonight when I decided to continue and finish everything up. I almost gave up on this song. But a few hours ago, I felt so stressed up that I couldn't understand a single thing  I was reading. My housemates have been studying literally since before I woke up this morning. I felt disappointed with myself and even thought of banging my head on the bedroom wall, honestly.

But.that.sudden.midnight.breeze.came.again.

I opened up my Bible, and found Psalm 36:5 being highlighted.

I added one final verse and there you have it.

My 7th (completed) song.
My 4th song written in Akasia this year.
My 1st song not written to show my feelings towards people.

4 comments:

Tysle said...

Cool!!!! :)

God has given you a gift of writing songs.

Fern said...

Awesome job, jam friend! Would love to hear this soon! =D

Anonymous said...

woo fiona! me love your song! :P

Fee said...

Hahaa, stay tuned! ;)