Thursday, October 13, 2016

#27 Letters and Confessions

Weeks ago a good friend (hi, friend) shared one good blog post written in the form of letters to strangers. Friend also adopted this style in her recent blog posts. I really think it's a great format, so today I think I want to adopt it too, just for this single post. I promise the next ones will be written in my usual style hahaha.

Technically my personal journal entries are written in the format of Dear Friend, and end with Love Always, and I did that after reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower because I kinda thought it's cool to imagine that I'm writing them to a friend, whoever the friend is. 

Enough with the intro, here are how some letters would look like if I were to write about today to a bunch of random people:

------------------


Dear Self,
You foolish kid. Why would you wait at the bus stop at 5.40am when you already knew that last week's bus came at 6.05am? Why can't you relax a bit and stop being paranoid of missing the morning bus? Because if you miss that one, there's surely another bus, and well, who cares about coming to class late? No one is punctual anyway. But I gotta pat you on the back for waking up early and feeling so energetic at 5am although you didn't really sleep well because of the coffee yesterday. Let's walk to the bus stop a bit late tomorrow, aite?
Love always,
Fee


Dear the snails that I stepped on at the bus stop,
Rest in peace, amigos. I swear I didn't step on you guys on purpose. It was still dark, and I wasn't really looking down, so you could imagine my horror when I heard that crunching sound beneath the soles of my trainers. I immediately knew I had killed something and crushed them to death, for I am not a natural killer. I never harm snails on purpose. I'm really, really sorry. Maybe I should bring a torchlight next time.
Love always,
The owner of the blue trainers


Dear friend 1, 
Thanks for tagging me on a picture of us two years ago. I'm sorry back then I didn't trust you and the bunch because I was a foolish, defensive, unlovable, a bit too careful person. Sorry I didn't approve the picture to appear on my timeline though, because I don't want some people to know I ended up at this university. You and the bunch always tag our uni location and hashtag our uni name, but you know the way they look at us, don't you? We're underdogs, the less likely to succeed, compared to those kids from public unis. A man at church keeps on sending that message to dad. It hurts me, the way they look at us. But I'm proud to have known you and the bunch. I thought you guys were just a bunch of rowdy, unmotivated kids, but you guys have hopes and dreams too. They don't know our story. 
Love always,
Fio


Dear Dr. X,
I get that you're proud of your background and years of experience, but it would be cooler if you deliver the lesson more than you talk about your life stories. It was cool during the first week, but now it's getting old. Now in case one of the people from uni discovers my blog and know I'm talking about you, don't get me wrong. I like you. But now I'm beginning to see you as Gilderoy Lockhart..
Love always,
That bored student


Dear friend 2,
Thanks for the cucur. And thanks for listening to my rants and weighing together the effects of escaping the 2pm class. You rock.
Love always,
Fio

Dear Miss X,
If only, if only you didn't respond sarcastically and encouraged a little bit of participation in your classes, I would've had the motivation to at least show up and sit through your whole lesson. But it's week 2 and I see no end to this suffering, and the fact that I need to see you for three times in a week just makes me want to die. Don't get me wrong, I could have liked you, but you have absolutely zero sense of humour and that kills me. So I figured, it's better to escape your class now than to escape in the future weeks because I'd need to come to listen to explanations on assignments. I know, you don't lose anything. I'm the one paying for my education, and I am solely responsible for the actions that I take. I'm sorry I escaped your class though. It was a random decision, totally unplanned. I was too comfortable at the library and was very lazy to leave. Sorry. I'll never skip your classes ever again. Unless I feel like it next time.
Love always, 
That annoyed student


Dear mum and dad,
Lol sorry mum and dad. I purposely escaped one class today for the first time ever. But don't worry, for the whole time when I was supposed to be sitting in that class, I was actually sitting at the library so comfortably, reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I know, dad, you wouldn't be proud of hearing this, because you paid for the tuition fees but I chose to educate myself at the library instead. And mum, it wasn't like I was loitering around smoking cigarettes or karaoke-ing with a bunch of friends, right? I still feel very sinful though, because the both of you expected I was attending class listening to a lecture. But I was feeling a bit adventurous and YOLO-ish. I'm sorry this is going to be a secret that I carry to my deathbed lol, but trust me, mum and dad, I don't think I miss out so much for choosing to not attend that class. In fact, I felt more accomplished that I managed to finish that Harry Potter book.
Love always,
Your problem child


Dear bus driver,
When that mentally ill guy spoke so harshly to you I saw how your smile vanished at an instant. It must be tiring, to be treated like that, but they don't really know what they've done, right? And I imagine you meeting these kind of people every single day and boy, does that sometimes make you feel like you wish you were doing something else instead of driving for a bunch of scary strangers who talk to you like you're not worthy of some respect? I still look at you and wonder is this the job that mum and dad wanted you to do? And when you were a kid, what actually did you dream of doing? When I hopped off the bus and said thank you, I hope you understand that I said so because I really mean it.
Love always,
The passenger


Dear Kitty,
What a pleasant surprise it is to see you sleeping, curling so comfortably in my room as I opened the door. It's so good to be able to sleep so soundly like you. In fact as I'm typing this letter to you, you're still there lol. 
Love always,
Your, uh, what's our relationship, Kitty?

.

Dear random reader, 
Ayyy lmao. Would you like a letter from me? Here, have a letter. A. (Geddit, geddit?) :3
Love always,
Me.

----
Two more I forgot:

Dear random pak cik,
Pak Cik, that's kind of creepy, ohkay. Next time of you want to sit at the same table with a girl who's sitting alone in the library, can you please acknowledge her presence and smile first? You came there suddenly, pulled the chair and didn't even look at me. And that's not the first time a stranger at the library did that to me. You're the second. The first, I thought I actually died and turned into a ghost and that's why I'm invisible. But getting this for the second time, ugh, it shows how invisible I am hahaha. And there were other tables with vacant seats, so I'm wondering what made you choose my table? Do I look so naive and harmless? Is that actually a good thing? I don't know, pak cik. Maybe you didn't want to smile because these days it's creepier to smile, or maybe you didn't bother asking if you could sit there, because it's a public place after all. I just sometimes wish people could treat each other better without being afraid of any hidden intentions. It's so hard to become an adult, to become a person with a cautious mind, because that's what happens to your mind when you lose your childhood innocence. But then that's a necessary survival skill. Lol, what a complicated world we live in, pak cik.
Love always,
The young woman reading Harry Potter


Dear pak cik on the morning bus,
You said the most absurd thing I've heard today. When the woman wanted to sit at the seat next to you and asked whether you could move your basket, you answered her "Bakul saya nak duduk." What is your basket, a frigging object with feelings? At that point I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry, because darn it, just darn it. I don't know what to say.
Love always,
Just another passenger

No comments: